Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Radio Conversation in the fog


Well thunderin’ Lord Jaysus, it’s good t’see ya today! How’she going, there? I hope you don’t have a “lake in your boat’! (Oirish Newfoundland expression meaning ‘leak in your boot’). Help y’self to a splendid mug of coffee and a scrumptious bakery treat.  Did you know that St. John’s, Newfoundland has the first McDonalds that ever served tea? Newfoundlanders drink tea, not coffee as a rule, so if the Big Mac folks wanted customers in St. John’s, tea it had to be! Now, you may have seen this a tou’sand times as I have but I have to say it’s one of my favourites. (Did I ever mention that my father’s folks are from Harbour Grace, just a ways up the coast from St. John’s?)

This is supposedly the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. The Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on Oct. 10, 1995.

- Please change your direction 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

- Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to South to avoid a collision.

- This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

- No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

- THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER ENTERPRISE; WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!

- This is a lighthouse. Your call…

Don’t you just love that! Such a Newfoundland underexpression!

See ya!

Bob

0 comments: