Saturday, July 16, 2011

An Apple a Day...


There you are. I was waiting till I heard your click…looked up and there you were reaching for the coffeepot and eying those top shelf delicacies. Can’t say I blame you one iota either. Try an apple muffin. Yummy. I like anything to do with apples, don’t you? Apple pie, apple crunch, apple upsidedown cake, apple fritters, apple turnovers… I even make a curry dish based on a recipe I saw on the side of Uncle Ben’s Rice a long time ago – chicken pieces, chicken stock, apples, raisins, curry powder and whatever else takes your fancy.

I don’t know whether you ever suffer from heartburn…gastric reflux as it were. I was reading an amazing story about a fellow and his dad. His father had suffered from severe heartburn for years and nothing seemed to work. His life was mostly coughing, vomiting and pains in his chest. Then one morning, the boy came downstairs to find his dad smiling and sitting down to a good breakfast. He said that for the first time in countless years, his gastric reflux wasn’t bothering him.

“What did you do?” the boy asked.

“I ate a red delicious apple before I went to bed last night.” Amazingly, this seemed to take his heartburn away almost completely. As simple as it sounds, it appears to work.  The mother was so overjoyed that she wrote to several pharmaceutical companies about it. Only one bothered to reply, stating, “We could not promote that. It’s a natural food.” In other words, they would lose millions from the sale of antacids and other drugs. Note that the apple doesn’t cure the problem but it does relieve the symptoms. Try it next time you have a heartburn attack.

If you feel like listening to the whole story, go here…

Otherwise, refill your coffee mug and bring us both an apple turnover, would you?

See ya!
Bob

0 comments: