Friday, September 13, 2013

3 ways to a healthy, tasty coffee!

Hi ya! Nice to see you! How's it going, eh? Having a caffo day, are you? Fill your mug and snag a virtual treat while I forward this advice from Dr. Weil about keeping your coffee calories down... 

A cup of plain, black coffee has about 10 calories. But add sugar, sweet whipped cream and other flavor enhancers and coffee-shop staples such as mocha lattes can contain more calories than a Big Mac. 

When you consider that many people have these drinks daily, the total calorie intake can add up quickly. If you are not ready to give up coffee but want to steer away from the sugar-laden versions, try these simple steps: you'll still get the flavor, but with less sugar.
  1. Skip the chocolate sauce and instead opt for a small piece of high-quality dark chocolate (at least 70 percent cocoa solids) on the side.
  2.  Add cinnamon (which may aid digestion) rather than caramel or other sweeteners.
  3. Forgo the whipped cream; a modest amount of unsweetened half-and-half is a better choice.
 Now me...I prefer to take my coffee black. When asked what I take in my coffee, I usually say, "Coffee." Though occasionally in the morning, on an empty stomach, I may take a little low-fat milk. Buries the taste of the coffee though...in my book at least. 

A little low-fat treat with my coffee doesn't hurt (much) either though I was reading another note from Dr. Al and he's advocating a protein diet (a la Caveman Diet). 

On that score, I tend to agree with him because carbs = extra weight in all the wrong places (my belly for example). So I'm trying (again) to cut down on grains, bread, et al. No I am not going so far as to only eat what I can catch and I have nothing whatsoever to do with the three cats and a chihuahua that are missing from the neighbourhood! I swear!

See ya, eh!

Bob

0 comments: