Sunday, June 19, 2011

Our footsies are getting bigger!


Hi ya! How’s it going today? Pour a cup of that fresh coffee next to the tray of goodies; grab a goodie while you’re at it… chocolat’s okay today, and lets have a palaver. I was just reading that, according to the National Shoe Retailers Association, the average shoe size has increased by a full size over the past 30 years. While the best-selling size for ladies used to be a 7.5, it's now an 8.5. The average shoe size for guys has increased from 9.5 to a 10.5. These are US stats but I suspect the same trends would apply elsewhere.

Apparently our feet are growing longer and wider over time. No one can tell us exactly why that is happening. Perhaps it is because of the hormones in our food. Maybe younger generations have grown up wearing sturdier shoes that were better for our feet. Michael Weiss, the national retail director for women's shoes at Nordstrom thinks that comfy shoes like clogs and Crocs have caused our feet to spread. There is likely some truth in that because here in Thailand, most people wear sandals and often go barefoot with the result that their feet tend to be wider because they have the freedom to spread out.

According to the US Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists, nearly four in ten women buy shoes knowing they don't fit. Is this because they want the shoes so badly that they'll buy them even though they don't fit properly? Maybe stores are just not carrying larger sizes? I tend to thing the first is more likely. Fashion first, comfort second.

In Thailand, while people’s feet are wider, they are smaller so I have a devil of a time finding anything larger than a 44 (equivalent to about a size 10). I had always taken a 10 ½ until I started having foot problems so I switched to 11 (45). Even that didn’t do much so now I need a 46 (size 12). Luckily, I can wear sandals most of the time here. I usually wait till I get back to Canada to buy new shoes.

See ya!

Bob

Comment from Dennis in Toronto:

Bob, re the delicious poopburgers, was that article written on April 1?
Oh, and I find I can't make it for dinner at your place next week. But thanks, I guess...

Reply from Bob:

Nice to hear from you, Dennis. Too bad you'll miss the 'poop' burger party. Thought we'd begin with half a dozen Tequila shooters just to get everybody ready to chow down!

0 comments: