Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Crappy Wedding Gift!



Hi ya! How are you doing this splendidly fine day? I am trusting you are having a most pleasant one. Help yourself to a mug of delectably refreshing Indian coffee and a virtual poppadom as I jump into the matter of Indian toilets...not that I actually do plan to jump into one, mind.


A marriage-encouraging initiative in the Sehore district of India's Madhya Pradesh state awards gifts and financial assistance to couples agreeing to wed in mass ceremonies, but the country also suffers from a notorious toilet shortage. 

Consequently, the district announced in May that to qualify for the government benefits, the groom must submit to officials a photo of himself beside his own toilet to prove that he and his wife will have home sanitation.


Now I think that’s only fair, don’t you? For some reason the old western tune, “Oh...give me a home where the buffalo roam...” comes to mind.


“Get that buffalo out of our home, Kneedeep! And where is that toilet you promised me when we got married?”


“It is right there at the end of the line, my treasure. Don’t despair, it won’t be so long a wait until all my brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins, have used it!"


See ya, eh!


Bob

0 comments: