Friday, April 19, 2013

Government in Action

Well, a great big "Hi y'all!" today?  Hope your day is shaping up to be a wonderful one. Coffee's brewed and waiting for you and that's a new tray of delectable virtual treats sitting there. Help yourself! 

Say, one of the sites I like to look at from time to time is called "News of the Weird". (No surprise there, eh!) While I ignore most of the stuff, occasionally I come across something I feel is blogworthy and shareable. For example...

Among the lingering costs of U.S. wars are disability payments and compensation to veterans' families, which can continue decades after hostilities end. 

An Associated Press analysis of federal payment records, released in March, even found two current recipients of Civil War benefits. Vietnam war payments are still about $22 billion a year, World War II - $5 billion, World War I - $20 million, and the 1898 Spanish-American war, about $1,700. [Associated Press via MassLive.com, 3-19-2013] 

I don't know how you feel about that and I wonder what similar situations exist in Canada, England, et al? I'm all for beneficiaries and veterans receiving their due benefits but surely there ought to be a line drawn somewhere. 

"Hey, Imogena, I'mma just got a letter from the government. Itsa say I'mma get no more benefits fromma them for the death ofa my ancestor - Julius Caesar. You thinka that's fair? I'mma sure don't! He wasa killed in government service and I'mma think it's the responsibility ofa the government to take care of hisa beneficiaries in perpetuity. I'mma pissed and I'mma gonna complain."

See ya, eh!

Bob  

0 comments: