Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February…or, the Month of Marvin


Hi there! How’s it going today? Grab a coffee and low-fat virtual doughnut and c’mon over here. I may not remember what I did yesterday but the brain can recall things from the dim distant past. Let me give you a for instance…

When I was a teenager growing up in Montreal (Watch those comments about ancient history, eh!) there was a Dee Jay named Dean Agopian, if memory serves which it may or may not. I believe he was on CFOX. Not that it matters. He was a funny guy but what I recall most about him was that he had trouble saying the word ‘February’. Most of us don’t pronounce the first ‘r’ or if we do it is almost silent. 

Dean had so much trouble with the word that he changed the name of the month to Marvin. He’d say, for example, “Good morning, it’s 8:32 on this Wednesday, the second of Marvin. Schools in the following areas are closed today because of blizzard conditions…” 

What does February mean anyway, Bob? 

Glad you asked… The month February is named after "Februa," an ancient Roman purification ritual. Occasionally girls are named February though if I was a girl I think I’d hate going through school with a name like that. Kind of like Johnny Cash’s song “A Boy named Sue”. Though now that I think about it, I did have a male music teacher in school and his name was Shirley. 

There’s even a song by Josh Groban “The Meaning of February”. Lucky for you, I’m not about to sing it.

Catch up with you tomorra!

Bob

0 comments: