Monday, February 21, 2011

Chicago-style Pizza


Hope you’ve recovered from all that fatty food we chatted about the other day. Ready for a second helping? How about a slice of original Chicago-style Pizza with your coffee today? This is a picture Paul (Tokyo Paul) sent in and a note: As I think I told you, Chicagoans are chauvinistic about their pizza and this is why.  This photo shows my sister's family at the place in Chicago to get pizza, Giordano's.  They always order the same thing, so I know what they are:  one is a stuffed cheese and sausage pizza and the other is a stuffed spinach pizza.  

I have to say that I have enough Chicagoan in me that I wish I had been there.”  


I’ve watched them make it and it’s something to see. I’ll tell you. Unless your insurance is paid up, don’t plan on a same-day outing to
Fogo de Chão and Giordano’s, where this deep-dish style of pizza was first made.

The way they slather on the cheese and tomato sauce is a thing to behold. My ability to wolf down a good-sized pizza is long gone, I’m afraid… probably for the better, Nong and my doctor would say.

Thanks for the picture, Paul! What was that you mentioned about a ¾ pound hotdog?

Bob

Paul just sent me a sad story from a local Chicago paper:

Stuffed pizza chain the latest big Chicago restaurant operator to seek Chapter 11 protection

Giordano's, known for its "world famous Chicago stuffed pizza," won court approval Thursday to use a portion of its $36 million bankruptcy loan to continue operating.

Giordano's operates six company-owned stores in the Chicago area, four joint-venture stores and 35 franchisee locations, according to its court filing. Giordano's also sells frozen stuffed pizzas via overnight delivery.

The pizza chain and 32 affiliate businesses filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization Wednesday in federal court in Chicago. It owes $45.7 million to its main lender, Fifth Third Bank, according to the filing.

Bob’s Reply:
If the price of cheese in Chicago is anywhere near what it is here in Thailand, that would account for it!

Comment from Wayne in Quebec:
Well for all you guys out there with tarmacs on the top of your heads, eating the bull testicles should help to grow some more hair but I'm afraid eating the Turkey testicles would grow feathers and that I would like to see.
Wayne from Québec, the province on wheels.

Bob’s reply:
Gotta stop drinking that Quebec White Lightning, there Wayne!


Stop by my other blogs...

0 comments: