Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bona deum! Capulus quod crustulum?


Did you take Latin in school? If you did, you likely know that means “Good day, eh! Coffee and a pastry?” I couldn’t find either doughnut or muffin in my English-Latin dictionary but I knew they’d have pastry as in Italian or Maltese ‘pasticci’. Delicious, too.

So what’s with the Latin, eh, Bob? Fall and hit your head again, did you?
No, I just happened to be looking up the meaning of something and came across some up-to-date translations that I knew you’d want to know. Add some of these to your vocabulary and scare the intellectual daylights out of your friends…

Age. Fac ut gaudeam - Go ahead. Make my day!
Balaenae nobis conservandae sunt! - Save the whales!
Braccae illae virides cum subucula rosea et tunica Caledonia-quam elenganter concinnatur! - Those green pants go so well with that pink shirt and the plaid jacket!
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis - I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream
Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum cum omnibus in eo - I'll have a pizza with everything on it
Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit! - God, look at the time! My wife will kill me!
Fac me cocleario vomere! - Gag me with a spoon!
Fac ut nemo me vocet - Hold my calls
Fac ut vivas - Get a life
Heu! Tintinnuntius meus sonat! - Darn! There goes my beeper!
Huc accedit zambonis! - Here comes the Zamboni! (for hockey fans)
Machina improba! Vel mihi ede potum vel mihi redde nummos meos! - You infernal machine! Give me a beverage or give me my money back!
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus - Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries  (I love that one, don’t you?)
Sane ego te vocavi. forsitan capedictum tuum desit - I did call. Maybe your answering machine is broken
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Sic friatur crustum dulce - That's the way the cookie crumbles
Tua mater tam antiquior ut linguam latine loquatur - Your mother is so old she speaks Latin

I tried to translate ‘Have you seen my snow shovel? And it gave me Vos animadverto meus snow rutila? Obviously the word ‘snow’ is not in the dictionary. Sounds like a good dictionary to me!

Habetis bona deum! - Have a nice day !

Robertus

Comment from Paul in Tokyo:
Well, I guess I could say Japan is one of the big players in the medical tourism field....as an exporter.  The national insurance here is wonderful, but costs are very high on things it does not cover such as a lot of dental procedures, cosmetic surgery and the like.  I know a few people myself who have gone to Thailand to have dental work done.

As for me, I like to spread my business around.  

Bob’s Reply:
With South Korea so close I imagine a lot of Japanese take advantage of that.
Bob

0 comments: