Sunday, July 19, 2015

Beat This "Everyday" Silent Killer..



Well hey there! Glad you could find a few moments to sidle by. Coffee’s always on and there’s a gentle waft of deliciousness coming from the virtual treat tray next to the coffeepot. Dig in!
Got another email from Dr. Al and in it he talks about a ‘silent killer’ so I thought I’d share it with you...
Dear Bob,
Our primal ancestors didn't have food allergies. And they had almost no chronic disease to speak of. 
But in modern America, allergies, asthma, cancer, heart disease, dementia and diabetes are rampant. And inflammation is the SILENT KILLER that links them all. 
Inflammation is the body's effort to heal itself. But too much produces disease. The sad truth is that we're all inflamed, thanks to our modern diet of sugar, cheap vegetable oils and refined carbohydrates.
But this isn't how you were intended to be. The deadly inflammation that plagues us is the direct result of our modern lifestyle.
Your prehistoric ancestors enjoyed a natural-healing diet. They ate wild-caught fish, lean, free-range meats, edible marine plants, nuts and berries.
You can do the same thing and enjoy the same health throughout your life.
My colleague, Dr. Keith Scott-Mumby, author of the bestselling book Diet Wise, has a strategy to help you escape fire of our modern diet.
Start by avoiding foods that inflame you. Everyone is different. And different foods are going to inflame different people.
For instance, I had a member of my staff a few years ago, K.B., who would get a headache and knee pain every afternoon at around 3 p.m. She came to me and told me about it because her headaches were serious. And I was concerned.
At my wellness center, we run a series of metal toxicity and food allergy screenings for patients like K.B. What we found shocked her, but it didn't surprise me...
K.B. loved to eat strawberries. She ate them every day at around 2 p.m. for a healthy snack. But it turned out that for K.B. strawberries were inflammatory. So whenever she ate them, an hour later, she'd have a headache and inflammation in her knees.
I'll explain how you can get more information on how to avoid this kind of "hidden" inflammation in a second. But I have one more point to show how important anti-inflammatory foods can be.
A few months ago, I came across an interesting case study in my new issue of Nutrition Journal.  Researchers looked at a group of people who were so inflamed they had inflammatory bowel disease, or IBD.
All of them were taking medication.  Doctors at UMass School of Medicine offered to put them on an anti-inflammatory diet to see if it would reduce the symptoms.
The researchers found, after only four weeks, ALL of the people were able to discontinue their IBD medication.1
Every person who ate an anti-inflammatory diet had reduced their symptoms to the point where there was almost no discomfort at all.
One of my favorite anti-inflammatory foods is the turmeric root. I became an even bigger fan of this healing herb during my trips to Bali.
My friend Westi grows turmeric in his garden, and it has remarkable properties.
These roots smell great, even though they look like paper-wrapped ugly brown carrots. But the flesh is a bright orange, and helps squelch inflammation anywhere in your body.
I usually eat the root because it's delicious in stir-fry. But you can also get the ground root as a powder... just make sure it's pure turmeric and not mostly curry.
If you can't get turmeric fresh or ground, look for a "curcumin" supplement – that's turmeric's main beneficial component. Look for at least 90% or greater curcuminoids, whichever formula you use.
That's not to say foods are going to solve every problem. But they are the easiest and best place to start, because you don't need medical training to eat.
All you need is a little knowledge of what's inflammatory, and some application. And that's what Dr. Scott-Mumby's book can help you with.
So click here to get his book and start your journey toward a long life of health and vitality – free of inflammation!
To your good health,

Al Sears

Wow! That’s a long read, isn’t it? At least a mugful worth of coffee. I’ve done a post or two on tumeric before.  Nong is not so keen on the pungency of East Indian spices but whenever I make a tuna sandwich for myself, I toss half a teaspoon of turmeric in with the mayo to give it a little extra flavour, nutrition and tang.

See ya, eh!

Bob

0 comments: