Thursday, May 15, 2014

Enough Retweets could get students out of Final Exams!

Like, how's it going, y'know?  Thanks for falling (gently) out of the cybersky and landing next to my coffeepot! Help yourself. Grab a virtual tweet...I mean treat while you're at it. Speaking of tweets, listen to this...

I never thought I’d live to see the day when Tweets could replace a student’s academic performance. But it’s actually becoming a popular trend. Teachers all over the United States are promising to cancel final exams if their students manage to get a sufficient number of retweets. I’m not sure the teachers always mean it, but it appears that the students are taking their deals quite seriously.

It all started with one opportunistic student – Andrew Muennink of Round Rock High School in Texas – who struck a sweet deal with his art teacher. Andrew is quite popular on Twitter, with over 2,300 followers. “I try my best and the final is supposed to be so hard, so I was like, ‘I have lots of followers on Twitter’”.

So he decided to leverage his large following to his benefit. He approached his art teacher on 7 May and succeeded in striking a deal – if he could get 15,000 retweets by 12 p.m. on May 23rd, his class would be excused from taking the art final. His post spread quickly all over the internet, and he achieved his goal long before the deadline.

Seems to me the school and/or school board might have something to say about this, wouldn't you think? What do you think about the idea of tweets in lieu of a final exam. I'm afraid that as a former teacher and head teacher, I don't see the value here. You? Let me have your opinion.

See ya, eh,

Bob

0 comments: