Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What came before the beginning?


Boy, that sandwich was good yesterday, wasn’t it? Do you think Panzarotto qualifies as a sandwich? I suppose it does. We’re open minded, right? So what are you up to today? Heavy day coming up or same old same old? Fill your cup and let’s jaw a while.

As is my wont, I was watching Heads Up and the fellow was saying, “Now, you see, Bob, the universe seems to be expanding.” “So how do they know that?” I asked my TV. “Well, seems as though when we look at the position of everything it’s farther away than it all was the last time we looked up. By considering that situation in reverse and assuming that because things are farther away now, it logically means they were closer together before.” Duh! Even I figured that one out, eh!

That’s where they get the idea that a long time ago, things were really close together. And before that? Before that they were all crammed together and before that came a big bang that started it all. Really? So what was here before the universe? Nothing? No space? No nothing? Maybe what they think was a big bang really came out of a black hole…which I hear is what a star like our sun becomes when after a kazillion years it ups and dies.

So what’s inside a black hole? No one knows and they really don’t want to get close enough to find out. Maybe it’s another universe. And anyway, how could there be a black hole if there was nothing in the first place? Hand me another virtual doughnut, would you. The brain’s gone to Bavarian cream just thinking about it.

See ya!

Bob

Paul from Toyko comments:

My favorite sandwich?  Now, that stumps me as there are so many possibilites.  How about a nice Chicago-style hot dog with chili and cheese?  Or with sauerkraut?  An Italian beef sandwich on a hard roll or Italian bread?  Would a bagel and lox qualify as a sandwich?  Of course, during my impecunious college years, I survived on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and I guess that almost ties in with one of your recent posts.

Of course, hamburgers cooked outside on a charcoal grill and eaten with friends are the best.  (Did that hint come through clearly enough?)

I won't start with sandwiches here in Japan.  Now, what would be the correct culinary term for them?  Oh, yes, they suck!  How about fruit salad and whipped cream on white bread?  Or a fried yaki soba (fried noodles) sandwich? I kid you not.  

OK, one more.  I do like a good croque monsieur or a croque auvergnat but only if I am in the right country for them.  BTW, it is possible to get a Croque McDo in Paris but that one is to be avoided, I should think.

Cheers.

Bob’s retort:
Toronto’s got these sausage vendors all over downtown. You can get a foot long dog or Italian or German sausage with kraut, onions, dill pickles, et al. Or how about a Sloppy Joe. It’s the kind of sandwich you and your shirt can enjoy!  Almost forgot that one. Yeah, a Yakisoba noodle sandwich works. Lots of hot sauce though. Hold the fruit salad. A Croque Monsieur would be similar to a Roast Beef au jus, n’et-ce pas? Oh, and in Britain, a Chip Buttie is a biggie…fries in a hamburger bun.

Another comment from Paul:
I guess I am being verbose on the subject of sandwiches but i thought of one more point.  My favorite place to get a sandwich is a New York deli.  I am sure you have been to one yourself.  They have counters that run almost the length of the store full of meats and cheeses, about 15 choices of rolls or bread, and while a little expensive, they do not skimp when making a sandwich.

I used to take students on study tours to the States and I always took them to a deli when we passed through New York.  We gave each girl $10 and let them choose what they wanted to eat.  I always left the deli empty-handed because I knew that the average Japanese girl could only eat half of one of those sandwiches.  Good times were had by all.

Another response from Bob:
Stage Deli in the theatre district is a perennial favourite. I like the Star Deli on Lexington. I agree – the counter runs forever with bowls of kosher dills all along. Can’t go wrong!

0 comments: