Saturday, November 6, 2010

VooDoo Donuts – A little chocolate black magic!



VooDoo Donuts – A little chocolate black magic!



  

Hey – as soon as I saw these, I thought about you and just knew I had to share them with you! Wouldn’t one of two of these go just dandy with your coffee today? Trouble is, I haven’t made them yet, see. But, hey, listen… feel free to beat me to the punch – or mixing bowl even.  They do look tempting don’t they?

Voodoo Doughnuts is a tradition in Portland, Oregon. Pictured here are some of their specialties: a Portland Crème Long John with chocolate coating and two ‘voodoo’ eyes, a bacon maple doughnut and a Captain-My Captain doughnut with Captain Crunch cereal.  The Portland Crème has been named as Portland’s official doughnut. Hey, Tim Hortons…why don’t you get Stephen what’s his name in Ottawa to declare the Fruit Explosion as Canada’s official doughnut. No, this is not a reference to the ever-expanding gay community…just a really good doughnut!

I’m not sure these voodoo treats fit in the low fat category but if you make them after three o’clock, there are no calories. Break them in half before you eat them to let any remaining calories escape! Bet you didn’t know you could do that, did you? Leastwise that’s what someone told me, I seem to recall. Couldn’t swear by it but take a long walk after eating one and it’ll set you right. No, I’m not telling you to “take a hike” though it’s probably good for your heart. Maybe I’ll join you.  Here’s the Portland Creme voodoo how to …

1/2 c. shortening
1 c. evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. lemon flavoring
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. salt
2 c. flour
1 pkt (tsp) yeast

- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 c. warm water (110-115 degrees)
- Add 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and yeast mixture to first mixture.
- Add more flour just to be able to knead dough.
- Knead on pastry cloth about 5 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out 1/4" thick and cut into strips 1 by 6.
- Cover with clean cloth and let rise 1 hour.
- Deep fry at 375 degrees until light brown on both sides (slip raised side into fat first.
- This gives flat side a chance to raise as they cook.)
- Drain on paper towel and frost with the following:
- Boil 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons cream or evaporated milk, about 3 minutes.
- Add flavoring and just enough confectioners' sugar to make a spreading consistency.

Got your walking shoes on? Ready to go? Don’t worry… I’ll catch up to you… just have to check on something first… I’ll be right along… don’t get too far ahead of me now…

Bob

PS: Happy Birthday to my brother Terry who’s about 5 years younger than I am so let’s see now…if I was 39, he’d be…!

0 comments: