Sunday, October 31, 2010

It’s Peanut Butter Lover’s Month!




 

It’s Peanut Butter Lover’s Month

Do I have a treat in store for you today! Yes, indeed. To celebrate the fact that it’s Peanut Butter Lover’s Month, I’ve got some nutty ideas for you. Of course my Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins are delicious, as are Peanut Butter cookies. I haven’t yet got up the courage to try a peanut butter and sardine sandwich. Care to do some research and report back? Didn’t think so. Never mind.

Remember, peanut butter is full of iron so it’s good for you, too…long as you’re not allergic, that is. I know someone who, when they walk into your house, can tell if you have peanut butter – even if it’s in a sealed jar in a cupboard. There must be some residual PB energy that hovers around the house.

Peanut butter is one of North America's favourite foods. You’ll find it in close to 80% of homes and it’s considered by many to be a staple like bread and milk. While the traditional kid (and big kid) comfort foods favourites - pb&j sandwiches and pb cookies remain favourites today, peanut butter is also delicious in savory sauces for pasta, meat and vegetables.

Here in Thailand as well as Malaysia and Singapore, pork, chicken or beef, barbequed on little skewers and dipped in a peanut sauce are found everywhere. I cheat and use peanut butter with a dash of cayenne and squirt of coconut milk.

Another idea, this one from the Philippines, is Peanut Stew. If you have an Asian store nearby look for a series of packaged mixes called Mama Sita’s. She has a Peanut Stew mix (though I think it has another name). Again, I ‘adjust’…make my stew and drop in a generous dollop or two of smooth peanut butter. I think it adds another dimension to an ordinary stew. Watch it, Bob, let’s not get back on the dimension stuff for a while, okay!

One of my current favourite novel heroines is Stephanie Plum…a rather inept bounty hunter. (Author: Janet Evanovich). Stephanie exists mostly on peanut butter and her choice is a peanut butter and olive sandwich. Haven’t tried that yet, but I will. If you try it first, let me know, all right?

Gotta go take care of a time crunch!

Bob

0 comments: