Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Bob's Icy Misadventure!

Yo! How's it going? Glad you could click by today. Coffee's hot and the virtual muffins and doughnuts are fresh out of the virtual oven. Treat yourself...you deserve it. Now for the topic of the day...my winter misadventure!

You remember I posted our rainy trip to the Thai temple in Ottawa the other day, right? Just before the morning ceremony ended, the head monk gave out 'sai sen'...a special string dipped in holy water that you tie around your wrist and it is intended to bring you good luck. I must have tied mine backwards and on the wrong wrist.

Prologue... My main computer has been giving me trouble. I tried to get rid of Windows 10 (again) and return  to Win 7.  The first time it worked fine. This time, Windows 7 would not open. I tried many things..hopeless...it wouldn't open..period. So  after conferring with computer buddy Geoff I took his suggestion that it needed to go to the shop. So yesterday, I put the computer in the car and off we went.

In this case the shop is Ace Computers on 6th Street, conveniently located close to Giant Tiger with their huge parking lot ...a great place to park while I dashed across the street to Ace...or so I thought.

Did I mention it had started snowing this morning? Well, it had. By the time I parked in the GT parking lot, there was (were?) two inches of light powdery snow on the ground. Just before my planned climb over the snowbank at the edge of the lot, I failed to noticed (because it was covered with snow) the ice between me and the snowbank.  Does the expression 'ass over teakettle' come to mind? It should!

I was carrying my laptop in its case and walking slowly but we went our separate ways and I ended up on my back after a number of mid-air contortions. Luckily I was wearing a thick woolen toque so it cushioned my head as it met the snow and ice. My left wrist did not fair so well...nothing broken but it was sore as all get out and slightly swollen.

After dusting the snow off, I crossed the snowbank and narrow road rather gingerly and then almost went down again as I approached Ace's front door. Again, it was unseen ice.

Yup...I did mention the problem to the lady who served me at Ace. Afterwards, I thought I would walk around Giant Tiger since they were unknowingly kind enough to allow me to park there. I mentioned my totally uncoordinated arabesque to a supervisor and he promised to do something about it.

Wait...it's not over yet. As I was walking very slowly back to my car, I reached for my car key and it wasn't in my pocket. I looked over to the spot where I took the fall and though I couldn't be sure, I thought I might still have had the key and key fob in my hand as I walked towards Ace. I peered over at the area and thought I could see something dark where I had fallen. Sure enough, there was my key in the snow where I had gotten up close and personal with the ice-covered pavement.

This morning my wrist feels a lot better and the swelling has gone down. It will be a few more days though. Meanwhile, when we went to bed last night and I tried to raise my head to check the time, my neck complained strenuously. Guess knocking my head back had pulled a muscle there, too. Dang!

Nah...I don't blame the sai sen on my wrist (the other one...not the one that met the ice). Just a winter mishap, eh! Good thing I wasn't carrying a mug of coffee is all I can say!

See ya, eh!

Bob

PS: I shall have to go back to Ace in a day or so to pick up my computer, I expect. Think I shall park elsewhere.

0 comments: