Monday, April 25, 2011

Sweet & Tangy Baked Chicken



How’s it going today, eh? Keeping well? Good to hear… and I do my best to interject some healthiness into my blog occasionally so, soon as you get that mug filled up from Madge’s selection of fine coffees and carefully choose a treat for the day, why, I’ll let you in on another healthy and delicious recipe of mine.  I love chicken anyway I can get it. It has a lot less fat than red meats, full of protein and this recipe is also packed with selenium, a vitamin that boosts the production of disease-fighting antioxidants.

What You'll Need:

   3 tbsp Dijon mustard
   2 tbsp grade B maple syrup
   2 tbsp olive, canola or sunflower oil, divided
   1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
   3/4 tsp black pepper
   1/2 tsp salt, optional
   4 lb bone-in chicken pieces, skinless and fat-trimmed
   1 1/2 cups whole grain breadcrumbs

Cooking Instructions:

In a large bowl, mix Dijon mustard, maple syrup, 1 tbsp oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Whisk until well-blended.

Dip chicken pieces in mixture until evenly coated on all sides.

Cover chicken and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (up to 6 hours).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a wire rack over a large baking sheet to cook chicken.

Mix breadcrumbs and remaining oil on the surface of a large plate. Dredge the meatier side of each chicken piece through the breadcrumb mixture.

Arrange pieces on wire rack, dredged side up. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot and enjoy!

See…I told you I was watching out for your health!

Bob

0 comments: